Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Story of 8 year old KALKIDAN from Ethiopia

”It’s impossible” said pride. “It’s risky” said experience. “It’s pointless” said reason. “Give it a try” whispered the heart - Anonymous
This Christmas Season, God gave me the opportunity to meet this  7 1/2 year old young lady from Ethiopia. Through the efforts of many good people and the blessing of God, I was fortunate enough to be one of the health care professionals to meet and take care of her during her stay at Sutter Memorial Hospital.
Due to the Generosity of many people and the administration  doctors, nurses and other important role players at Sutter Memorial hospital she had surgery for a rare brain tumor called Craniophranygioma which has left her without eye sight. Even after her surgery, she needs a lot of endocrine and neurological medical care for years to come, even after she returns back to her country.
While I can tell a lot about all the fabulous things we did for her, what impressed me was her attitude. On Christmas day, I went for my hospital rounds and she was sitting on the lab of Dr. Sarah Jones, (whom I met for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed meeting this very humble yet very determined physician who coordinated this multidisciplinary care for Kalkidan) and then moved over to sit on my lap for this picture and said THANK YOU - with a bright smile in her face.
The real story is what she had shared with her care givers. She is in a foreign country all by herself, (her parents and 2 younger siblings could not come with her), she does not speak English and she cannot see what is around her, she going through a major surgical procedure and a prolonged stay in the USA. Yet her thoughts are about helping her family. She says that her parents will be missing her. She needs to be back home to help her mom to fetch water and take care of her younger siblings (Remember, she is only 7 1/2 years old)
My question to myself was did I make a difference in her life, or did she make a bigger impact in my life by being the little angel she is. I shared her story with my family. I truly learnt a lot from this amazing young lady.
I am thankful to being part of all the amazing people at Sutter who made it possible for me to meet this beautiful girl.
So, for 2013 my message to all of us is:

Being happy doesn't mean you're perfect. It just means you've decided to look beyond the imperfections

Be Happy, Healthy and Helpful
Happy 2013



No comments: